Micro HD Tips and Technical Updates
1. Camera not powering on
2. Action Cam HD app update for iOS
3. Camera won’t make USB connection with computer
4. Action Cam HD app for Android 5.0
5. Downloading Action Cam HD app for iPad from App Store
6. WiFi connection to Samsung Galaxy 3: “Network disabled because Internet connection is slow
7. WiFi range for Micro HD+, Micro HD+ failed downloading pictures to Action Cam HD App
8. Micro HD+ failed downloading pictures to Action Cam HD App
9. Low audio volume when playing back video
10. Replacing internal battery
11. Connecting Micro HD / HD+ to smart phone or tablet with USB cable
12. Downloading Action Cam HD App to Kindle
13. Wireless connection to Microsoft Surface Pro / Window 8
14. Using a longer USB cable with Micro HD / HD+
15. Battery life when using Micro HD / HD+ in extreme cold temperatures
16. Recording continuous video
17. Pictures / videos not sharp or out of focus
1. Camera not powering on
When battery is empty, the camera may not have enough power to turn on and can lock-up and/or emit static sound from the speaker. A new firmware, version V1.55 (for Micro HD+) and V2.55 (for Micro HD) was released on August 5, 2015 to fix this issue. The firmware is available for free download on our website
An iOS app update for the Action Cam HD app is now available at the Apple App Store. Released on May 13, 2015, the app update (version 1.21.08000) allows pictures and videos to be saved to the iPhone or iPad Camera Roll and also fixes some bug issues.
If the camera does not connect to a PC or wall charger using the USB cable or receive a USB error message, do this:
- Thoroughly clean the camera’s gold-plated USB contacts and USB adapter contacts using a cotton swab moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Do not use pencil eraser or other abrasives to clean the contacts as that will remove the gold plating.
- Check and remove and debris that may be obstructing the USB adapter from being fully inserted into the camera’s waterproof USB port.
- Reboot computer and try again.
- Try using another USB cable. It’s a micro-B type USB cable, which is commonly used with smart phones and other USB devices.
- The USB adapter is not waterproof and needs to be replaced if it gets wet. Always make sure the camera is completely dry before connecting the USB adapter to the camera.
- Replace the USB adapter. As a temporary solution until USB adapter is replaced, fully insert the USB adapter and slowly pull back slightly on the adapter until connection is established.
If contacts have been cleaned and camera still won’t connect to PC or wall charger (i.e. PC / Charge screen does not appear), try connecting the camera to the PC or wall charger and then simultaneously press and release the power and shutter buttons to force the camera off. This may allow the camera to bring up the PC/Charge selection screen.
If you are still experiencing USB connection error, please contact the USA SeaLife Service Center at email@example.com or contact the SeaLife distributor in your country by visiting our dealer locator.
If your Android smartphone or tablet is running Lollipop (5.0) operating system, you need to download an app update in order to connect the device to your Micro HD+ camera. This update should ONLY be installed for Android Lollipop 5.0 devices. The Action Cam HD app update is only available on Google Drive. The Google Playstore app download is for Android devices running KitKat 4.4 or previous operating systems.
App update instructions:
- Under the security settings on your Android device, make sure the “Unknown Sources” setting is turned on. This allows installation of apps from unknown sources outside the Google Playstore. You may turn off the “Unknown Sources” setting after installing the app update.
- Email the above link to your smartphone.
- Connect your smartphone to a wifi hot spot to avoid using your 3G/4G data.
- Open the email from step 1 using your Android phone and click the link.
- Touch the “Download” icon and follow the on-screen instructions to install the app.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact SeaLife Service Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search App Store for “Action Cam HD” and select “iPhone Only” from the dropdown menu on the top left of your iPad. The Action Cam HD app is originally designed for iPhones but also works equally well with iPad.
Go to WiFi settings, select “Advanced” and uncheck “Auto network switch”.
The Micro HD+’s maximum wifi range is about 200ft. The WiFi signal range is less if there are obstructions, like walls and trees between the camera and smart phone or tablet. The WiFi signal will not transmit underwater.
An exclamation mark ( ! ) icon will appear on the Action Cam HD app if the picture failed to download wirelessly. This will occur with pictures that were captured while recording video and using the “Quick Download” option. The smaller 2MP pictures captured while recording video may only be downloaded when selecting the “Original File” download option.
The camera includes a microphone located inside the waterproof enclosure, which may be turned ON or OFF. When the microphone is turned ON, the volume is preset to the highest possible setting, however the video recording audio is minimal because of the waterproof design. Underwater, you will hear the diver breathing. Above water only loud sounds will be recorded. We recommend using Windows Movie Maker, Apple iMovie, YouTube or video editing software to add music or narrations to your final video production.
The camera maintains 85% of its original power after 500 recharge cycles and 70% after 1000 recharge cycles. If the battery life becomes noticeably shorter, considering having it replaced by an authorized Sealife service center for a cost of $75. Service includes new 3.7V 2350 mAh Li-ion battery and waterproof depth testing to 200ft to ensure reliable waterproof seal. For more information, contact the USA SeaLife Service Center at email@example.com or contact the SeaLife distributor in your country by visiting our dealer locator.
You can use the USB cable to connect the camera to a PC, smartphone or tablet for downloading pictures and videos. When connecting to a smart phone or tablet, you will need to purchase a USB adapter specific to the make / model of your phone or tablet, available at most electronic stores. When connecting the camera directly to an iPad, a USB Power Y-Cable is required to provide additional power to support a USB connection.
USB Y Cable with two USB-A on one end (power + data) and Micro-B on the other end. The above cable is made by StarTech, but other brands are available.
SeaLife Micro HD camera connected to an iPad using a lighting USB adapter (white) and USB Y cable (black & red). The red USB plug is connected to a wall charger or standard USB port.
CLICK HERE to view a video on how to connect a Micro HD/HD+ to an iPad using a USB y-Cable.
You won’t find the Action Cam HD app in the Amazon app store for Kindle, but you can download it directly from Google using this link
It is possible to view and download pictures and videos from the Micro HD+ camera to any Microsoft laptop or mobile device running Windows 8 and Windows Media Player.
- Turn ON the cameras WiFi setting
- In your Windows’ device wireless settings, connect to the Micro HD+ camera. Password is 1234567890.
- Open Windows Media Player and enable Media Streaming. The Media Streaming setting is a drop-down menu located on the upper left of the Media Player screen view.
- On the left side of the Media Player screen view, you should see “Actions Cam DMS” folder appear under the “Other Libraries” section. Give it about 1 minute to appear after making wifi connection.
- Select “Action Cam DMS” and several subfolders should appear. One contains pictures and another contains videos.
The Micro HD comes with a 12”/30cm USB cable. It’s a high quality 80% copper shielded to prevent electro-magnetic interference that can corrupt image files during download. Longer cables are available at most electronic stores or online, but make sure that it’s a high quality cable to at least 80% copper shielding.
The camera is designed to be operated at temperatures of 0°F to 120°F (-18°C to 50°C) on land and +33°F to +110°F(.5 °C to 44°C) underwater. When using the camera in extreme cold temperatures, the battery life at full charge will be less than when operating at normal room temperatures.
The camera is capable of recording continuous video as long as there is sufficient memory space and battery power available. The continuous video will be saved in 45 minute segments (about 3.8GB per segment).
There are many factors that may contribute to pictures or videos not being sharp. Most common is shooting in low light conditions, which can cause a grainy image or motion blur. Consider purchasing a Sea Dragon external photo-video light ideal for capturing sharp, colorful pictures and videos underwater or in low light conditions.
The camera uses a fixed focus lens that is sharp from 12” (30cm) to infinity. Make sure to maintain at least 12” (30cm) distance between the camera and the subject. For close-up shooting distances of 6” to 24” consider purchasing the SeaLife 10X Close-Up lens at your local SeaLife dealer. To find a dealer near you, visit our dealer locator.
Sealife Service Center
97 Foster Road, Suite 5
Moorestown, NJ 08057